When looking for a change and the opportunity to advance in the field of technology, one should consider the following: (1) A company that values technology and uses it to leverage how they serve clients, (2) A company that supports technology and is committed to using new technologies to continually build a better product to meet their client needs, and (3) An opportunity that is housed inside a talented company that works in a interesting industry and is not building your average ho-hum business solutions. Agree? Keep reading.
Large-scale capital expansion energy projects are schedule intensive, multifaceted and comprised of massive amounts of data arriving from multiple delivery points outside our client’s business. For 20 years, Natural Resource Group, LLC (NRG) has provided leading and technology driven environmental planning, permitting, and regulatory compliance services on hundreds of energy projects throughout North America. Our development, GIS and IT staff work closely with our project managers to build custom web-based and geo-referenced solutions to help our energy clients more effectively manage these dynamic projects – solutions that strategically distinguish us from our competitors. We are seeking a solid mid-level Database Administrator/Analyst to help lead and continue building our firm’s ability to develop these powerful technology solutions.
In this hybrid role, the individual will have a foot in both the operational and development aspects of databases, with strength on the development side. The individual would be responsible for overseeing the operational environment including reviewing logs, updating/writing scripts, optimizing performance, archiving, backing up, troubleshooting, tweaks related to upgrades, and the other typical administrative support necessary to ensure smooth and appropriate functionality. The individuals would support the planning process for upgrades and general troubleshooting in SharePoint and Deltek Vision (our ERP system) as well as providing support related to end user access to data.
From the development side of things, where the majority of time would be spent, the individual will work closely with our application developer, building these systems, improving these systems, advancing to different/new applications that allow us to do things better. The individual would gather requirements based on business needs and be involved in the architecting and development of new applications/systems, and also support the IT staff with deployment efforts. Our goal would be for this individual to lead the architecture and support the development that results in the creation of solid base configurations so we can deploy iterations on existing applications/systems in relatively short order.
The fact that all of our custom applications have a Geographic Information Systems (GIS) component to them, the ability to gain experience in working with GIS is another attractive aspect to this opportunity. Working closely with our established GIS team, the individual will leverage the power of GIS and bring their database knowledge to create solutions that allow our clients to analyze and update project data and output high-quality custom reports. The individual will bring necessary experience from a planning aspect to build the infrastructure that allows the application developer to access the data.
This position demands Microsoft .Net solutions using Visual Studio in conjunction with SQL Server databases and Internet Explorer – the core technologies we leverage in our custom development of applications. NRG also uses this technology to augment our Deltek Vision ERP, CRM and accounting products. GIS will take advantage of these technologies as well for designing and developing solutions to streamline processes and add functionality. A summary of typical tasks include:
- Design and develop database systems for various corporate needs
- Participate in project teams to design applications
- Work with GIS group on solutions development with ESRI products
- Provide technical support and trouble-shooting on all database systems and applications
- Perform demonstrations of database applications to project staff and clients
- Manage and maintain SQL systems: installations, upgrades, develop custom views, backup jobs and database security
- Design and develop using SharePoint services (usability and application)
- Record and document projects and procedures
This position is based in the heart of downtown Minneapolis in the IDS building - don’t worry, we pay for parking and have a locker room if you prefer to bike. We work collaboratively across 9 offices throughout the country – totaling about 85 employees and growing. Naturally, we offer an attractive benefits package and really cool office space to boot. But we have to say, when it comes to the perks our staff truly value at NRG, it comes right down to the challenging work combined with the high quality standards and wicked smarts of our people.
Bachelor of Science or related field
Microsoft certified (or current pursuit of) in one or more: MCAD, MCSD, or MCDBA
Skills & Experience:
- 5 to 8 years of professional experience in Microsoft SQL Server 2005/2008 R2 database development/administration
- Solid fundamental knowledge of design and operation of relational databases
- Experience with SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), Integration Services (SSIS), Analysis Services (SSAS) and Profile
- Windows 2008 R2
- Experience collaborating and developing solutions in a small team environment.
- GIS experience is not necessary, but would be considered a bonus. The same goes for SharePoint experience.
- DBA certification is preferred.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Demonstrated ability to work well independently and in a team environment
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Detail oriented with excellent time and work management skills
- General knowledge and experience to support future needs centered on basic data warehousing/business intelligence.
All candidates must be legally eligible to work in the United States without sponsorship. Sorry, no Visa Sponsorships available. Consulting Companies, Staffing Agencies and 3rd Party Recruiters need not apply or inquire.
To apply, visit www.nrg-llc.com and click on Join Our Team/Minneapolis.
Questions? Please contact Lynda Whittemore at email@example.com or 612-280-8289.