Research Analyst – Mental Health Finance & Program Planning
MN Department of Human Services
St. Paul, MN
Make a difference working with the Minnesota Department of Human Services!
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced professional to provide research, evaluation, and statistical expertise in conducting program and fiscal planning for the public mental health service system. You will provide the technical expertise to complete statistical analyses of mental health expenditures for developing departmental legislative proposals as well as qualitative and quantitative analyses for strategic state mental health planning. In addition to joining a dedicated team of professionals you will enjoy working for an organization committed to improving the lives of all Minnesotans.
· Design and conduct state-wide research evaluations on targeted mental health services provided under Minnesota Health Care Programs through billing and encounter data.
· Analyze and interpret research evaluation results. Provide written reports of findings in a format understandable by a general audience.
· Produce statistical analyses of mental health expenditures for developing departmental legislative proposals and fiscal notes.
· Produce a comprehensive analysis of total public mental health expenditures each fiscal year for federal reports and public presentations.
· Serve as lead for risk adjustment planning for persons with serious mental illness in managed care health plans.
· Collect, analyze and report data for selected data reporting activities for the treatment of mental health and related conditions to ensure data reporting requirements are maintained.
· Identify and lead project work plans related to monitoring outcomes for federal and state reporting requirements, including pay for performance measures reporting as directed by Supervisor.
· Identify and implement quality monitoring strategies such as process and quantitative evaluation, surveys, and on-site clinical reviews to assure adherence to research based models of service.
· Collaborate with other divisions in the Department in research related to services for adults with mental illness.
· Write reports, bulletins, procedures, rules, and correspondence sufficient to describe, promote and justify current and future program initiatives and outcomes.
· Complete ad hoc analyses for special projects as requested by supervisor.
· Graduate degree in statistics, health policy research, social psychology or related field.
· Extensive knowledge and demonstrated experience in research design and evaluation techniques.
· Computer programming skills sufficient to produce queries into the state data warehouse using various software packages as well as produce computer reports for use by department managers.
· Ability to conduct controlled research on mental health treatment and services and report on the findings.
· Ability to analyze information and initiate comprehensive data collection systems, in order to complete research, develop policy options, and to recognize relationships between various department programs and policies.
· Experience and knowledge of statistical computer software programs (such as SAS, SPSS, SQL, or BI Query and Excel) to produce valid research statistical analyses of mental health information.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff members of the department, other state or public agencies and advocates.
· Ability to work effectively in a data-driven, high stress environment in which deadlines are fixed and outcomes defined by grant provisions and contractual agreements.
· Written and oral communication skills to communicate research findings effectively in oral and written presentations.
· Technical writing skills sufficient to producing a wide range of documents, position papers, contracts and other products.
· Sensitive to and respectful of cultural and other differences that will be encountered while interacting with co-workers and in serving our customers.
In addition to a competitive salary, the State of Minnesota offers excellent employee benefits, such as low-cost health and dental insurance, and affordable dependent coverage. Other benefits include:
· Paid vacation time
· Paid sick time
· 11 paid holidays
· Life insurance (optional family)
· Long-term care insurance (spouse/parent)
· Ongoing educational opportunities
· Short-term disability
· Long-term disability
· Health care savings plan
· Pension and retirement savings plan
· Pre-tax benefits
· Credit union membership available
· Optional retirement savings plan
Contact us! The Recruitment Office is glad to answer any questions you may have about this or other career opportunities. Contact us for more information or submit your resume by email (please reference the “Research Analyst” position in the subject line):
Phone/Job Hotline: 651-431-3674 or 800-657-3643
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT YOUR RESUME IS 12 NOON on MONDAY, MARCH 26th, 2012.
The Recruitment Office will contact you within 2 business days regarding your inquiry.
An Equal Opportunity and Veteran Friendly Employer